Simple. Healthy. Flavorful. Here it is!
All you need to do is throw some ingredients in a Crock-Pot and boom! This recipe is a nice alternative to chicken tacos – the cilantro spruces it up and this homemade taco seasoning cuts down on sodium and preservatives that are found in packaged products. Oh, and your whole family will love this recipe!
- 16 oz. salsa (hot, medium or mild – that’s your call)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 limes, juiced
- If you love the flavor of lime, add in 1 tsp lime zest
- 2 fresh jalapenos, chopped (if desired)
- 1.25 oz (7.5 tsp) taco seasoning mix (*see recipe below). In a pinch, use one package low-sodium dry taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (and a little extra for garnish)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 4-6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 avocado & 1/2 tomato for toppings (if desired)
Taco Seasoning Mix
- 3 tsp Onion Powder
- 2 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/8 tsp Cayenne Pepper
*makes about 1/2 cup (21 tsp)
- 6 tsp Chili Powder
- 5 tsp Paprika
- 4 1/2 tsp Cumin
Combine all ingredients into a storage contain with a tight-fitting lid. Mix well. Seal tightly. Store in cool, dry place for up to 6 months.
- Put salsa, lime juice, taco seasoning, cilantro and salt into the slow cooker. Mix well.
- Add in chicken breasts, onion and jalapeno (if desired), stir to coat with the salsa mixture.
- Cook on high for 4-5 hours, or until chicken is tender (or 6-8 hours on low).
- Once the chicken is cooked through, remove from the slow cooker & shred with two forks.
- Serve in a whole wheat, high-fiber tortilla as a burrito, enchilada or quesadilla. Or, go low-carb or gluten free: omit the tortillas and serve in a lettuce wrap or eat straight from your plate. Add a little greek yogurt as a sour cream substitute. Yum!
Per serving: Calories 257, Fat 3g, Carbs 10g, Protein 48g