If you’re going the margarita route this Cinco de Mayo, consider changing some of the ingredients up to avoid the less ideal, pre-made mixtures. Check out our Skinnier margarita recipe below.
Skinnier Margarita Recipe:
- To rim the glass: kosher salt, lime wedge
- 1 1/2 ounces silver tequila (about 3 tablespoons)
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice (about 1 large or 1 1/2 small limes)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice (about 1/2 medium orange)
- 1 teaspoon light agave nectar (add 2 if you prefer a sweeter margarita)
- Rim the glass: Pour a thin layer of salt onto a small plate. Rub a lime wedge around the top of the edge of your glass to moisten it, then dip the glass into the salt so that it sticks. Fill the glass with ice and set aside.
- Fill a small cocktail shaker with additional ice. Add the the ingredients – tequila, lime juice, orange juice, and agave (or variations of your choice). Tightly close the shaker and vigorously shake for at least 30 seconds. Strain into the rimmed glass over the ice and enjoy!
- Muddle fruits like strawberries, raspberries, or blackberries, in the bottom of your glass, and then pour the margarita on top and stir.
- Try blood orange juice, grapefruit juice, or pomegranate juice in place of orange juice.